Saturday, January 30, 2010

Chocolate

Hi, my name is Jennifer, and I'm addicted to chocolate. I truly believe I am, on some level. Not as bad as an alcoholic, but maybe somewhat closer to a smoker. I need it. I crave it. At certain times of the day, of the week, of the month. Usually I can get by with a couple of squares, or bites. Other times, no. I take one bite and it's like a crack in the dam. Every subsequent bite thereafter splits the crack wider until it's an unstoppable flow.
I was desperate for some chocolate the other day. I even posted my craving on FB. My sister, N, who incidentally does not really even like chocolate, responded back to, get this, "eat an APPLE!" She heard, apparently, that they get rid of the craving. I had to laugh my ass off at that one. Spoken like a true health nut. She just doesn't understand chocolate at all.
But, to be fair to her (and to my own resolution to eat less, exercise more, and be healthier) I tried it yesterday. I had finished my workout with the Wii Active, and was craving something sweet at the usual time of day. The top cupboard in my kitchen beckoned to me, whispering sweetly in my ear like a lover, "Come, eat me, I'm here for your pleasure, I'm all yours...It's ok... you worked out...it's safe..."
"No!" I refused. And I turned instead to the fridge to retrieve an apple. As I sat munching the crunchy, sweet goodness, all I could think about was...
CHOCOLATE!!!
And when I finished the last bite and placed the core neatly in the greenbin, do you know what I did?
I went straight to the top cupboard, apologizing profusely to my spurned lover, and he welcomed me back with open arms.

2 comments:

  1. Hilarious!

    I have the same problem. It's hard when you know there's a huge bag of chocolate chips in the cupboard, just waiting to be eaten :)

    I put the Fudgee-o's in the freezer, but that didn't stop me today. I ate three. While R was in the bathroom and couldn't see. Sad, eh?

    I try to eat carrots and apples to get rid of the craving (crunch of carrots, sweetness of apples), and give in to the true craving after I've had a few carrots and one apple. I figure I'll eat less chocolate (or cookies) if I have something in my belly already.

    I don't think it's working ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that I will never understand your addiction.I do have some understanding after pregnancy. Who is that little chocolate demon that calls out to you?? He's an evil guy! Good luck with your lent commitment! I still think the easiest way is too remove all chocolate from the house.

    ReplyDelete