9 years ago today, right now, I was probably at the salon, getting my hair done. It was snowing on and off that day, and we had to scrape the heavy frost off the cars before going anywhere. Here are the things that stick out in my mind the most about that day:
- It was snowing, and we were disappointed, because we had wanted an outdoor wedding but had to move it inside due to too many old doddery people. I wish we had just done it anyway, and too bad for the ones who couldn't watch. It wasn't like it was a long ceremony.
- We almost had a car accident on the way to the wedding. My dad's friend was driving me and my dad in his Jag, and for some reason he decided he had the right of way at a light turning left when he clearly didn't! Thank goodness some people pay attention.
- Despite all our planning and direction to the caterers (they were the ones who insisted on specifics) they still managed to screw a great many things up.
- I remember being pleased with myself at not crying during the ceremony, particulairly the vows, more than I remember the actual ceremony. That's kind of sad. I should have just cried and concentrated on the words that were being said.
- I didn't cry at my dad's speach either, but I did at my sister's.
- The power kept going out. We had used most of our budget to secure a high-tech DJ, complete with fog machine, strobes, you name it, so that we could have the best party atmosphere. Then the stupid hall couldn't manage the electrical overload, and we had to cut back to basically just music after the power went out a few times. I was so mad about that, after all, we still had to pay for the stuff even though we couldn't use it. Not the DJ's fault though.
- By 11p.m. I was exhausted. I went and took off my dress early, only to realize that we hadn't cut the cake yet!! So I went and had to put my dress back on (sans crinolin) just to pose for some pictures. Then I took it off again.
- We left early. I couldn't take anymore. I was mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausted and feeling nauseous because of it.
So all in all, not really the best memories. I don't really look back on my wedding day with much fondness. More like, when you're looking back on a day you had when all this bad stuff kept happening, only to laugh at it now because it was so long ago. If I could do it all over again here's what I would do...ELOPE!! Yes, yes, yes!!! I seriously think that everyone who mattered could have afforded to come along, after all they spent a lot of money on dresses, gifts, and all the rest. My parents put in money towards the wedding, and definitely that money could have been put towards supplementing those that couldn't afford the trip on their own. I really wish we had done that. My friend Lisa did, and has beautiful memories and pictures to go along with it.
I've always said, and always will that the VERY BEST PART of our wedding was the honeymoon!! We went to Sandals Ocho Rios in Jamaica. We promised ourselves we'd go back at our 10 year mark, but sadly, that doesn't seem like it will happen. I don't see us any closer to that goal financially than we are right now.
I'll always have those memories though. And we both cling to them every time we hear Bob Marley crooning "Buffalo Soldier".