Friday, July 30, 2010

A Nasty Surprise



Ok, how nasty is that?!

I was innocently taking my laundry down yesterday, being the cheap-ass environmentally conscious person that I am. As I reached for that one peg suspending the grey shorts, what should my insect-phobic eyes spy??

EEEEKKKKK!!!!

I think you could have heard me scream ten houses over. All the boys outside with me turned to see what I was freaking out about. And being boys, of course they all wanted to touch it and save me from it...
NOT!

What is wrong with boys today?? L offered to whack it with the plastic golf club, but I declined, citing that I did not wish to rewash the garment in question due to bug-gut splatter. And I didn't want to "shoo" it away with said plastic golf club, for (my intense) fear that it would fly at me. Or anywhere near me.

As luck would have it, one of the parents came along at that point. She is a brave police officer, and she even wouldn't touch it! She did, however use the badminton racket to "shoo" it, at which point it flew from one garment only to land on another. She "shooed" it again, and finally, off it went on it's merry way.

So what was it, you may ask?

Well, I didn't look it up or anything, but I'm 90% sure that it was a cicada bug. They make that odd buzzing noise you hear intermittently in the trees during this time of year. We used to find them dead in our pool sometimes when I was a kid.

Sooooo disgusting! I may never hang laundry out again, to heck with the hydro bill.

2 comments:

  1. ewwwwww....I would have freaked out too! I HATE HATE HATE bugs. My oldest son is just as bad as me, so we always call on my 4 year old son to come save us by squishing or shoo-ing any bugs in our way. He's not afraid.

    And for the record, there are no bugs at the Butterfly conservatory, I just happened to notice that one. Maybe there are a few, but they're not visible

    ReplyDelete
  2. I likely would have screamed and whacked.

    LisaDay

    ReplyDelete