Friday, May 15, 2009

Guns

I have fought many a fight over guns. I don't like them. I am one of those moms who doesn't want her children to have guns as toys. However, it seems that all my efforts are for nought. It doesn't seem to matter what you do, but it is nearly impossible to keep your children from playing with guns, especially boys.
"Mommy, can I pleeeeeeaaaaaaase have a gun; I won't shoot anyone, I promise!" L begs me in the dollar store.
"No."
"Pleeeeeeeeeeease; J (his best bud) has one, and H too!"
"No."
"Ohhhh, that's not fair!"
Life's tough kid.
I was careful when the two boys were younger to stick to cute animal animated movies, with loving themes. They only watched Treehouse (the preschool channel) and programming for preschoolers, and even that was limited. But lo and behold, they still were introduced to "shooting" people. Then came the guns made out of Lego, or even a stick outside was used as a gun. My wonderful SIL bought L a giant Transformer Optimus Prime that transforms into a giant gun that shoots foam darts. Thanks. So much. For that.
Next year she bought him a Batman plane that shoots out red plastic discs, and is held like a gun, trigger and all. She smiles sweetly at me, and tries to justify it all. Of course, once they open the gift, you can't be that terrible mean mother who takes it immediately away.
And then came the squirt guns, and super soakers. So it's inevitable, I should stop fighting, I'm losing. Maybe I'll go out tonight and buy them a bazooka and have done with it.

1 comment: