Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Bittersweet

So today, L graduated from Kindergarten. On to Grade one next year.
I have a lot of mixed feelings about this.
I am firstly, sad. Sad because he is my youngest, my baby. He is no longer a "preschooler", but now he will be a fulltime school-ager. I don't get to spend as much time with him now, as he was going to school every other day, and I cherished those days when he was home. I liked to spend time with him, just him and I in the afternoons while all the other kids I look after were asleep.
Of course, I am proud of him, and happy that he is growing and healthy and smart.
But I can't help being tearful about the whole thing. I cried the other night, for about an hour, going through all his schoolwork and the "memory album" he brought home from school. They change so much in a year. And I know that time picks up speed now. The years start to just fly by once they get to grade school. I can scarcely believe that R will be in Grade three next year! That seems so old to me, and yet, he is still my little boy.
And then I am happy again, because unlike some parents, I love the time when they aren't in school. I love having them home with me, getting to spend every day with them. And of course, I'm happy I don't have to make lunches for a whole summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment